Wykham Park Academy, Banbury – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, (term-time only, 39 weeks p/a)
Where? Banbury, Oxfordshire
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn between £161.70 to £311.85 a week, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
In your role you’ll support the work of the science department at Wykham Park Academy, under the supervision and guidance of the lead technician.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Among other things, the Science Technician Apprentice will be required to:
* Assist with the maintenance of the department resources
* Adhere to all school and department health and safety policies and procedures including CLEAPSS guidance and adopt safe working practice
* Undertake the general maintenance and cleaning of equipment
* Collect and organise stored equipment and materials for class use
* Prepare equipment and materials for class lessons and demonstrations
* Check materials and equipment for damage before and after class use
* Comply with safe disposal of chemicals and biological waste as per CLEAPSS regulations
* Undertake the care of plants as required
* Maintain clean glassware and equipment
* Maintain and organise resources in the prep room and storage areas
* Undertake the photocopying of as required
* Liaise with the lead technician regarding any potential health and safety problems with equipment
* Assist in the inventory of materials, chemicals and equipment and associated stock taking duties
Who we’re looking for:
- Good communication
- Team player
- Good time keeping
- Able to follow and implement instructions
- Willingness to learn and be trained
- Ability to work independently or under supervision
- Hard working
- GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience and qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Things to consider:
- This role is during term time only – 39 weeks a year
- Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised