VINCI, Birmingham – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus weekend overtime where needed. Shift work may be a requirement.
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Vinci as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
In your role you’ll have the opportunity to develop your skills while helping to build the state-of-the art railway that’s critical for our low-carbon transport future. You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
HS2 is a state-of-the-art, high-speed line critical for the UK’s low carbon transport future. It will provide much-needed rail capacity across the country, and is integral to rail projects in the North and Midlands – helping rebalance the UK economy. This is an exciting opportunity to work with the BBVAI joint venture as part of the materials testing team, developing your skills as a laboratory technician apprentice.
Working within the site laboratory team you will test the behaviour of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and to help with the development of new technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisms that are highly sought.
Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT).
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Carry out testing on site to assess material strength and flexibility under stress against specification requirements
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- To comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
Who we’re looking for:
- A flair for maths and IT
- The ability to use your initiative
- Ability to lift 25kg samples
- An interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Willing to travel to various locations across the UK
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Completed an intermediate (level2) apprenticeship in An Engineering OR Construction Discipline (or equivalent)
- Full UK driving license (due to travelling to different sites within the role)
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Vinci . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.