The Urswick School, London – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week (term time + 2)
Where? London, E9 6NR
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £19,565 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
Please note: Candidates must be over 18 for health and safety reasons
An enthusiastic and motivated apprentice is required to join the Science Department and work alongside a Senior Technician to support the delivery of a varied and exciting science curriculum within the school.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Main duties and responsibilities are indicated below. Other duties of an appropriate level and nature may also be required, as directed by the Head of Department and Head of School.
- To assist in the provision of Science in accordance with the Curriculum and Timetable.
- To ensure Science equipment is audited, stored correctly and well maintained
- Prepare, distribute and then clear away equipment, solutions and materials as required within the science department.
- Assist her/his line manager in the promotion and observance of a healthy and safe working environment.
- Ensure that staff in the science department are aware of all health and safety requirements and other relevant regulations.
- Ensure that equipment is in good working order and that laboratories, preparation areas and storerooms are in a clean, safe and orderly condition.
- Collect and care for insect and plant materials as necessary.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with all students, parents/carers, colleagues and other professionals.
- Carry out routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment to the required standard.
- Provide technical advice to teaching staff with practical experiments and resources.
- Under the direction of the line manager, dispose of laboratory waste safely (chemical and biological) and deal with spillages/breakages in accordance with regulations and procedures.
- Assist in putting in place provision for practical school and public examinations.
- Put up and maintain appropriate classroom and corridor displays within the science department.
- Provide technical assistance to students, either individually when they are carrying out investigations or projects, or in-class assisting or advising students and staff on the practical aspects of the curriculum.
- Assist in stock control.
- Ensure that any administrative duties, checks and documentation are completed to the required level of accuracy including photocopying, filing and returns.
- Assist in completing equipment and stock inventories as required.
- Attend school events as required.
- Attend relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Undertake first aid training and responsibilities as required.
- Keep up to date with associated developments and changes in requirements and regulations and communicate appropriate information to colleagues.
Who we’re looking for:
- Ability to build and form good relationships with students and colleagues.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team, understanding school roles and responsibilities including own.
- Verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the need to communicate effectively with colleagues, students and other professionals.
- Good standard of numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to absorb and understand a wide range of information.
- Ability to operate a range of ICT equipment and other specialist resources.
- Ability to proficiently use computer software including word-processing, spreadsheet, database and internet systems.
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
Realistic prospects of permanent role and advancement