SOCOTEC, Bretby– Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 39 hours per week.
Where? Bretby, Burton Upon Trent
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join Socotec as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
In your role you’ll have the opportunity to develop your skills while helping to build the state-of-the art railway that’s critical for our low-carbon transport future. You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
To train as an Asbestos Laboratory Technician apprentice, aiming to achieve a Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (LATA).You will be working with the laboratory team where you will receive, prepare and partially analyse materials and soils potentially containing asbestos.
We are looking for you to develop in to the role by undertaking an agreed structured training program of study in house, so that in time you will develop an understanding and knowledge of asbestos and the testing and analysis of it in practice in the laboratory environment.
Specific duties will include (but aren’t limited to):
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Comply with quality system for asbestos testing laboratory, developing an understanding of systems (LIMS) reporting
- Preparation of samples using UKAS audited method for subsequent analysis with different types of equipment
- Work as a functional team in the Lab environment
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- Comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Learn and expand knowledge in specific analysis of asbestos in accordance with HSG248 and work towards obtaining the BOHS Qualification P401: Identification of Asbestos in bulk samples
Who we’re looking for:
- Good IT skills – Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good use of your initiative
- 4 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths, English and a science
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Socotec . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.