Precision for Medicine, Royston – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 37.5hours per week
Where? Royston, Hertfordshire
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join Precision for Medicine as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
The Laboratory Apprentice is responsible for receiving, inventory and processing fresh patient samples and nonclinical samples to cryopreserved cells. They will be performing PMBC or cell subset isolations, plasma fractionations, serum separations, cell thawing, cell counting and generating whole blood aliquots. Additionally, this role will include laboratory housekeeping and organization, preparation of associated laboratory reagents, managing cell inventory and helping other scientists with assays as required.
- Receive inventory and process fresh biological samples:
- Receive and inventory all incoming fresh biological samples into electronic LIMS database
- Perform cell isolations and/or separate whole blood and body fluids into various components
- Perform cryopreservation of all isolated cells
- Prepare all reagents used in lab
- Create and perform first key of data collection sheets
- Perform equipment preventive maintenance
- Perform cell thawing and counting
- Effectively manage UK cell-based inventory
- Maintain accurate, up to date records (lab and timesheet)
- Order and inspect lab supplies
- Respond to freezer alarms in accordance to standard operating procedure
- Carry out other duties/projects as assigned
Who we’re looking for:
- Basic, hands-on laboratory skills are desirable
- Good manual dexterity
- Proven ability to follow detailed protocols/instructions
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to critically review own work to identify and correct error
- Must be able to read, write, speak fluently and comprehend the English language
- IT skills, in particular Microsoft tools and any experience with data entry into systems
- GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- A Level in Life Science (desirable)
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Things to consider:
- May be exposed to a cold freezer environment (temp range: -20–196 centigrade)
- Must have the ability to lift and carry between 1-15lbs.