Medivet, Watford – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus weekends (every other Saturday includes a 4 hour shift)
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £18,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician Technician.
You’ll join Medivet as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
In your role you’ll support the scientific laboratory staff to deliver accurate results to our clients in a timely way.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
This training position provides a great opportunity to gain experience and build a career in a clinical laboratory.
You will be placed within the Biochemistry Team. This is a highly automated department staffed by a team of five. You will take part in the daily processing of clinical specimens, and will assist the scientific team to maintain accurate records, keep a safe laboratory environment, and ensure adequate departmental supplies.
You will also have the opportunity to spend time in other laboratory departments. While you will be primarily based in Biochemistry, cross-discipline co-operation is important to ensure that the whole service runs smoothly.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Prepare diagnostic specimens for testing
- Carry out testing of diagnostic specimens in line with laboratory protocols
- Store specimens appropriately
- Data entry: accurate entry of information into our bespoke software system
- Participate in the management of referral specimens
- Document management: scanning, filing and shredding
- Contribute to the maintenance, calibration and cleaning of equipment
- Receive laboratory deliveries; contribute to stock control
- Maintain a tidy and clean working environment
- Comply with laboratory health and safety procedures
Who we’re looking for:
- Attention to detail – has a keen eye for detail, identifying and acting on anomalies.
- Problem solving – considers problems from all perspectives and offers us suitable solutions. Builds on the ideas of others to encourage creative problem solving.
- Decision making – able to tell the difference between important and irrelevant information to reach a conclusion. Can make decisions independently. Believes in the decision they have made.
- Teamwork – an effective team player. Identify opportunities to support in the delivery of shared goals. Show a strong team ethic.
- Communication – an excellent written and verbal communicator capable of interacting with stakeholders internal and external to the business. Can distil complex issues into simple, understandable language.
- Proficient with basic IT software e.g. Microsoft Office
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade C/4 in maths and English
- A GCSE in science would be advantageous
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Things to consider:
- Minimum age requirement is 18 because of insurance reasons
- Please note candidates living within 1 hour of the location will be given priority
- Can you reliably commute to and from your workplace for the duration of the apprenticeship?