BDA Surveying Ltd, Leicester– Laboratory Technician (Level 3)(Site-based)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Working for BDA Surveying Ltd
BDA Surveying Ltd are established independent asbestos consultants, offering asbestos surveying and asbestos analytical services to companies and institutions throughout the UK.
They currently have a vacancy for a site-based, Asbestos Analyst Lab Technician Apprentice whose role will include air monitoring using phase contrast microscopy and site clearance activities following the removal of asbestos.
What it’s like being an On-site Asbestos Analyst
- Asbestos air monitoring involving the collection of samples of air using sampling pumps for analysis
- Analysis of air samples using phase contrast microscopy to count fibres
- 4 Stage clearances following the removal of asbestos by a licensed asbestos removal contractor that includes:
- Visual inspection of asbestos removal enclosures
- Clearance air monitoring
- Visual inspection of the work area following the removal of the enclosure
- Inputting data into the BDA database
- Producing airborne fibre analysis reports and certificates of reoccupation
- Liaising with clients and contractors to ensure that work requirements are met
- Liaising with the office manager on a daily basis to establish daily work loads
- Partake in the In House and external Quality Control schemes as directed by the Quality Manager
- Work within our team of analysts to ensure that works are completed to our client’s requirements
So how does the apprenticeship work?
At Tiro we’re obsessed with changing lives in science and technology so we can’t wait to have you on board.
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your working hours towards a Level 3 Lab Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at BDA Surveying Ltd, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning £17,500 a year while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and BDA Surveying Ltd’s ultimate goal is to transform you into a fully competent Laboratory Technician Apprentice, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the BDA Surveying Ltd team. As well as this, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.
- Must have a driving license
- An interest in science would be advantageous
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade C/4 in maths and English
- A GCSE in science would be advantageous
- Age restriction – 21+ (insurance policy due to nature of role)
Skills and characteristics:
- Attention to detail – has a keen eye for detail, identifying and acting on anomalies.
- Problem solving – considers problems from all perspectives and offers us suitable solutions. Builds on the ideas of others to encourage creative problem solving.
- Decision making – able to tell the difference between important and irrelevant information to reach a conclusion. Can make decisions independently. Believes in the decision they have made.
- Teamwork – an effective team player. Identify opportunities to support in the delivery of shared goals. Show a strong team ethic.
- Communication – an excellent written and verbal communicator capable of interacting with stakeholders internal and external to the business. Can distil complex issues into simple, understandable language.
- Proficient with basic IT software e.g. Microsoft Office
What? Level 3 Lab Technician Apprenticeship
Where? Oadby, Leicester
When? Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week
How much? £17,500
How long? Fixed period of 21 months with the opportunity to stay on permanently
How to apply
Hit ‘apply now’ below and choose the role you want from the drop-down menu.
You’ll need to let us know some information about you and attach your CV if you have one. It should only take around 5 minutes.