Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week (which includes a daily break of 1 hour, unpaid) working from 8:30-15:30. 42.3 weeks a year
Where? Pedley Road, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 1XE
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,047 (FTE: £21,795) a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join Mayfield School as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 24months.
Mayfield School are looking for an Apprentice Laboratory Technician to work in their Science Department. The successful apprentice will support the teaching of a range of Science subjects by that Department under the direction of the Senior Science Technicians.
You’ll have the support of a mentor: a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
“At Mayfield, we are totally committed to the success of every child. Learning is central to everything that we do and we strive always to ensure that every child receives the support and guidance they need to reach their full potential. Mayfield School is a community built on shared values of respect, fairness and hard work.”
As a Lab Tech Apprentice, you will be required to show a commitment to the school’s aim of success for all by providing a high standard of service to staff, parents/carers, students, governors and visitors. You’ll be expected to conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times; maintaining discretion, tact, diplomacy. To undertake duties in support of the work of the teaching staff in the science department.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To arrange, supply and collect materials and equipment for Science Faculty lessons
- Preparation and setting up of equipment, materials etc. for Science lessons
- Periodic safety checks
- To assist in the preparation of inventory, health & safety and stock control audits
- To ensure that all equipment and materials in the science rooms is cleared after the lesson, including chemical spillages, and the rooms are left in a clean and tidy condition, including surfaces, sinks, and cupboards as appropriate
- Receiving deliveries
- To assist in daily resources management
- Assist in the collation of work sheets and new work schemes
- Contribute to the general running of the science preparation rooms
- Contribute to the promotion and observance of a safe working environment in the Science area, including the production of appropriate risk assessments
- To ensure safe storage and use of laboratory equipment in line with health and safety regulations
- To ensure the safe disposal of all chemicals in line with health and safety regulations
- To undertake minor repairs to damaged equipment
- To work with other technicians to maintain an accurate inventory of equipment
- To be a trained First Aider
- To undertake any training applicable to the role as directed by the school
- Reviewing and developing your own professional practice, including taking part in performance review annually
- Any other such matters as the school may reasonably request
- To be aware of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and to report any concerns in accordance with Mayfield’s Safeguarding/Child Protection policies
- To undertake compulsory Child Protection/PREVENT Training as directed by the school
Who we’re looking for:
- Have a high standard of written and spoken English
- Be reliable
- Have a positive attitude
- Have a good attendance and punctuality record
- Have honesty and integrity
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Have excellent literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have energy and drive
- Be self-motivated with the ability to multi-task
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Be able to prioritise their workload
- Be willing to learn and flexible
- Be able to communicate effectively with staff and students
- Be unafraid of taking on new challenges
- Have a genuine desire to work with, and on behalf of, young people
- Have a good sense of humour
- Willingness to undertake first aid training
- 5 x C/4 or equivalent in GCSE including Maths, English and Science
The experience and qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- A full-time position with Mayfield School after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.