Harris Federation, Croydon – IT Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Working for Harris Federation
The Harris Federation is an education charity led and run by teachers. They opened their first school in 1991 and now run 50 primary and secondary academies in London and Essex, and train thousands of teachers per year from the Harris Federation and beyond.
What it’s like being an IT Technician
As an IT Technician apprentice, working for Harris Federation in Croydon, it’ll be your job to provide an outstanding IT support service to their staff and students.
Under the instruction and guidance of central and local IT Staff you’ll:
- Ensure that all IT Support needs are logged correctly on the Service Management system.
- Re-route or escalate IT support tickets to the appropriate team or person and work with central and local IT staff to implement/test any proposed or applied solutions.
- Assist, where appropriate, in efforts to resolve IT support tickets within the target resolution time as dictated by the SLA.
- To identify and where appropriate, implement workarounds for desktop related problems, ensuring these are documented and uploaded to the ICT Knowledge Base.
- Identify recurring IT incidents and research potential root causes to the underlying problem.
- Keep the Academy staff informed about the status of their support ticket(s).
- Notify the local IT Staff upon detection of a major incident affecting the operation of centrally provided services or the ability to deliver said services.
- Deploy and maintain Windows 10 based PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Apple IOS devices.
- Assist with the installation, configuration and maintenance of computer peripheral equipment such as multi-functional printers, Interactive LED’s / whiteboards (IWB’s) and projectors, ensuring that this hardware is regularly tested and ready for use when required.
- Assist with the installation of new software and software updates or upgrades, always ensuring compliance with software licensing regulations.
- Develop an understanding of an academy’s network infrastructure, connectivity and operation (cabling, patch panels, routers, switches).
- Assist with efforts to keep the hardware assets within the IT Asset Database up to date with Status, Location and Owner information.
- Assist with the preparation of conference / meeting rooms and their related IT and Audio
- Visual equipment so that they are ready for large or small meetings, training sessions or other events, e.g. Governors meetings.
- Such other duties as may be reasonably considered to be within the grade and remit of the post.
So how does the apprenticeship work?
At Tiro we’re obsessed with changing lives in science and technology so we can’t wait to have you on board.
Over 18 months, you’ll devote 20% of your working hours towards a Level 3 Information Communications Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro as well as an experienced mentor at Harris Federation, who together, will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your career. The best part? You’ll be earning £15,000 a year while you learn.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Tiro and Harris Federation’s ultimate goal is to transform you into a fully competent IT Technician Apprentice, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the Harris Federation team. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.
Recent work experience in a Customer Service or IT Support environment would be advantageous but not essential.
- Recent experience of using or supporting Windows 10 PCs, laptops and tablets.
- Recent experience of using or supporting Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and other desktop related products
- GCSE with passes in Maths and English
- GCSE with pass in Computing (Information Technology)
Skills and characteristics:
- Be professionally presented, well spoken and can demonstrate an enthusiasm and aptitude for IT.
- Be a dynamic individual, with a strong commitment to learning and development.
- Be self-motivated, dependable, trustworthy, with a “can do” attitude and the desire to be the best.
- Be able to take instruction and direction and reliably perform the tasks that are required of you, whilst always seeking to improve the work you do and the way that you do it.
- Be flexible, adaptable and capable of handling the various pressures and demands associated with this highly customer focussed IT support role.
- Be a confident communicator, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Be able to organise and prioritise tasks and work under pressure when and where required to achieve the desired results.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10 and Microsoft Office and O365 applications.
What? Level 3 Information Communication Technician Apprenticeship
When? Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week, term time only
How much? £15,000
How long? Fixed period of 18 months with the opportunity to stay on with Harris Federation permanently
How to apply
Hit ‘apply now’ below and choose the role you want from the drop-down menu.
You’ll need to let us know some information about you and attach your CV if you have one. It should only take around 5 minutes.