Costain, Newquay – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus weekend overtime where needed. Shift work may be a requirement.
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Costain as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
- Carry out in-situ and laboratory testing for concrete, bituminous material, aggregates, and soils on civil engineering construction sites.
- Ensure the laboratory/work area is kept in a tidy and safe condition at all times and report any broken or damaged equipment to senior management.
- Training will be provided to ensure testing is completed to the relevant standard in accordance with UKAS schedule.
- Flexibility to work on different sections of the highway.
- To attend and fully participate in regular training, career and development reviews with line management, Tiro tutor and other interested parties.
Who we’re looking for:
- A flair for maths and IT
- The ability to use your initiative
- Ability to lift 25kg samples
- An interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Willing to travel to various locations across the UK
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Full UK driving license (due to travelling to different sites within the role)
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Costain. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.