St. Paul’s Way Trust School, – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Apply by: 9th July 2021
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week (term time plus 2 weeks)
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £10,783 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join St. Paul’s Way Trust School as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 24 months.
St. Paul’s way trust are looking for an Apprentice Laboratory Technician to work in their Science Department. The successful apprentice will support the teaching of a range of Science subjects by that Department under the direction of the Senior Science Technicians.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation of solutions, materials, cultures for living organisms
- Assembling apparatus
- Obtaining materials by local purchase
- Helping to identify equipment needs in consultation with teaching staff, participating in the selection of new items
- Trialling practical activities and keeping records of results
- Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities
- Maintaining a resource bank of safety information
- Operating and monitoring systems for the safe storage of equipment, apparatus and materials, including chemicals
- Constructing and modifying apparatus
- Maintaining (including cleaning) apparatus and equipment in the science department
- Organising and storing resources
- General cleaning of laboratory bench
- Cleaning of surfaces and fixed equipment
- Cleaning laboratory sinks
- Ensuring that laboratories are safe and secure
- Providing training to small groups of staff or students in relation to safe handling of chemicals and the operation of apparatus/equipment once trained to do so
The postholder must demonstrate a flexible approach in the delivery of work. Consequently, the postholder may be required to perform work not specifically identified in the job profile but which is in line with the general level of scope, grade and responsibilities of the post.
- Ensuring that all duties and responsibilities are discharged in accordance with the school’s Health & Safety at Work Policy
- Complying with the school’s Equal Opportunities and other policies and assisting with their development and promotion within the school
- Ensuring comprehensive procedures notes are compiled for key tasks
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post
Equal Opportunities Statement:
- Adhere to the Council’s Equal Opportunities policies and ensure anti-discriminatory practice within the service area
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the grade as determined by the manager
- To have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and to follow the child protection procedures adopted by the school and the local authority
Who we’re looking for:
- Basic knowledge of science in relation to the main subject specialisms and curricular requirements
- IT literate and willing to undertake further training as required
- A clear understanding of diversity and an awareness of its impact in education
- Ability to work proactively in assisting with the daily management and safe and efficient running of technical services to the Science department, use of resources and space
- Ability to organise one’s own tasks with minimum supervision and to set and work to agreed targets
- Be organised and motivated
- Ability to communicate effectively with pupils and persons at all levels
- C/4 or equivalent in GCSE maths, English and Science
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience and qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with St. Paul’s Way Trust School. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.