St. Albans Girls School, St. Albans – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Apply by: 10th July 2021
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week (term time only)
Where? St. Albans, Hertfordshire
For how long? 24 months
How much? You’ll earn £6,756 to £13,030 (depending on your age) a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join St. Albans Girls School as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 24 months.
We require for September a practical individual to meet the demands of a busy department. The successful candidate will become a qualified laboratory technician through the L3 apprenticeship programme whilst providing materials for practical science across all key stages and subject areas.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Main area of responsibility:
- To provide practical support for the teaching, assessment and examination activities taking place in science laboratories
- To provide specialist support to the Science department
- To ensure that all apparatus, equipment, and chemicals provided are in serviceable condition
Duties and Tasks:
- Prepare experiments and set up equipment as requested by teaching staff
- Clear used apparatus from teaching room after lessons
- Check department’s labs at the end of the day to ensure services are turned off and laboratories are clear of all apparatus, as appropriate
- Wash and clean equipment
- Clear up and make safe laboratory spillages
- Make/develop new items of equipment where possible
- Maintain and, where possible, repair/service equipment
- Inform Senior Technician when stock levels are low
- Assist with the issue/collection of textbooks where possible
- Follow all relevant health and safety procedures (e.g., CLEAPSS and COSHH)
- Undertake training as appropriate
Who we’re looking for:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to process and interpret information
- Ability to cope with periods of pressure and prioritise work-load accordingly, meeting all deadlines
- Excellent administration and organisation skills
- Ability to work flexibly and share workloads, particularly during periods of pressure
- Team player
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Accuracy and reliability
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people, including students and on own initiative, taking the lead when necessary
- Awareness and acceptance of the school’s equal opportunities policy
- Self-motivated – ability to work on own to achieve successful outcome
- Ability to make decisions and use own initiative
- Creative, comes up with ideas
- Prepared to learn new skills
- An understanding and ability to demonstrate the professional standards required when working in a school environment
- Positive outlook and a sense of humour
- An awareness of the school aims and ethos and a willingness to actively engage in the school community
- Be able to carry out all duties to a very high standard
- High pass in both Maths, English, and Science GCSE (6/7 or B)
- Demonstrating a good level of competence in using ICT, where required in the job specification
- Experience of appropriate software including Microsoft Office and Google as required by the job specification
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience and qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with St. Albans Girls School. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.