Precision Polymer Engineering Ltd, Blackburn – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £18,533 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Precision Polymer Engineering as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
Part of the IDEX Corporation, Precision Polymer Engineering Ltd is a manufacturer and supplier of high performance, niche elastomer seals used in critical applications around the globe. At IDEX we are focused on attractive markets where there is sustainable competitive advantage based on technology leading to high growth and profitability.
You’ll devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Conduct testing and analyses according to the requests received, meeting the agreed deadlines
- Work alongside with the Material Scientists to new materials development projects, whenever possible from inception to completion, carrying out assigned tasks, reporting out results, interpreting the results identifying trends/patterns, providing feedback and recommendations
- Provide contribution to the development and implementation of new application specific test methods either in-house or with external third parties
- Collect analytical evidences and draft analytical (MCC) reports
- Conduct, when appropriate, round robin testing within PPE materials laboratories (and if needed with third parties)
- Feed data into the laboratory database, fine tune and maintain it
- Calibrate and maintain equipment, when appropriate
- Keep the lab environment safe, clean and tidy
- Desirable, though not essential, experience of conducting standard thermal (e.g. TGA, DSC, TMA), optical (microscope), spectroscopic (FTIR) analyses of polymers
- Desirable, though not essential, experience in using advanced laboratory database (Electronic Lab Notebook)
- Desirable, though not essential, basic understanding of 5S methodology
Who we’re looking for:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and demonstrable ability to work with the Microsoft IT tools
- Problem solving – Anticipates problems; sees how a problem and its solution will affect other units; gathers information before making decisions; Adapts well to changing priorities, deadlines and directions; Works to eliminate all processes which do not add value; Recognizes and accurately evaluates the signs of a problem
- Initiative – Pursues ongoing system improvement; Creates solutions to problems; evaluates new ideas or technology as potential solutions to existing problems; Operates effectively in a changing and pressured environment
- Decision Making – Gets to the root of a problem quickly; separates relevant from irrelevant information; Breaks problems into logical steps; identifies obstacles and potential causes or problems; Assesses risk and carefully considers options before acting
- Quality – Performs tasks with care; is thorough. Makes few, if any, errors; Checks work to ensure accuracy and completeness; Compares observations or finished work to what is expected to find inconsistencies
- Planning and Organisation – Reflect the direction of the department and position the organisation for success; Be aware of the changing and complex environment in order to foresee any potential setbacks and/or opportunities; Give well-informed feedback to members of the team
- Able to work as part of a team
- Well organised
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision
- Strong prioritisation skills
- Ability to manage own workload
- Customer focused
- Able to work well under pressure
- Prepared to learn new skills and develop
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to process and interpret complex and confidential information
- Attendance: Demonstrate high levels of attendance at all times; Ability to be flexible if required based on business needs
- Teamwork: Actively encourages people to work together; creating a cooperative environment; Builds trust, rapport and team cohesion by asking others for input, listening to their needs and ideas, and discussing potential compromises and/or solutions; Works effectively with various different individuals and departments to achieve a positive end result
- Attitude & Behaviour – Shows role model behaviour at all times; Engage themselves positively in their place of work; Seek to find answers from the correct source if unsure; not willing to get involved in idle gossip; Clarify situations without second guessing
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade C/4 in maths and English
- A GCSE in science would be advantageous
- Driving licence not essential, PPE, is a 5 min walk from various bus stops.
- The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
- The experience and qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
- Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Things to consider
- There is heavy lifting involved but nothing that is not covered in our manual lifting courses.
- Please note, candidates living within a 1-hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised
- Minimum age: 18+ due to handling of chemicals