MDS Testing Services, Rickmansworth – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
Apply by: 01/08/2021
When? Monday to Friday, 48 hours per week
Where? West Hyde, Rickmansworth
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £21,216 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join MDS Testing as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
This is a trainee position based near HS2 Project – Site Laboratory – Chalfont Lane, West Hyde, offering construction industry materials testing services for the project. The Successful candidates will work under the guidance of material testing site manager.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Your objective is to test the behaviours of bulk construction materials in an effort to improve the performance of products, eliminate faults in materials already in use, and help develop new technologies.
This is a unique chance to develop a career in the construction materials sector, giving you an opportunity to develop an array of skills and specialisations that are highly sought after by employers across the country.
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice Materials Technician:
- To work on site or within the site-based laboratory.
- Sampling of materials, preparation and testing of – Soils, Aggregates and Concrete.
- Insitu site testing.
- Complete paperwork accurately with all the relevant information.
- Equipment calibrations.
- Keep equipment clean and serviceable
- Drive company vehicles courteously and safely on site.
- Work safely in line with site approved RAM’s
Who we’re looking for:
- An interest in construction, science & laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems & defects
- Flexibility to travel as required
- A good communicator
- Awareness of own and others safety
- Ability to use your initiative
- An accurate and meticulous person
- Punctual Reliable and punctual with a flexible approach to the working hours
- Strong communicator
- Integrity and honesty
- Willing to develop and expand testing capabilities.
- Full UK Driving Licence (for travel to different sites)
- Maths and English at Level 2
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Upon completion of the programme, apprentices will be granted Technician in Materials, Minerals and Mining status (TIMMM) and be able to apply to become part of the Register of Science Technicians (RSciTech) through the Institute of Materials, Minerals, and Mining (IOM3).
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with MDS Testing. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.