Carbon8 Systems, Chatham – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
Where? Chatham, Kent
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £14,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician
You’ll join Carbon8 as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
This is a hands-on role, working closely with the Technical Manager to support all the company’s laboratory testing and research and development needs. The jobholder will be responsible for running the company laboratory currently at the University of Greenwich in Medway.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
The jobholder will be responsible for the testing of incoming samples from prospective and established company clients, and reporting the results of this testing to the Technical Manager and the Technical Director as appropriate. This will involve testing materials for their reactivity to CO2, chemical and physical characteristics as well as undertaking leaching tests specific to the material’s country of origin. The jobholder will also be responsible for producing small batches of carbonated products for testing with a particular focus on aggregate and concrete testing.
Another stream of work will be supporting research and development on new products and technological innovations. This could involve working with specialist chemicals or novel materials such as nanoparticles and aerogels as well as studying the effects of process alterations.
The Carbon8 team is currently fewer than 10 people so the jobholder will immediately become an integral team member essential the company’s success and involved in core activities. The jobholder will report to the Technical Manager but will be in regularly contact with almost all team members and should be prepared to work with anyone requiring laboratory support.
Who we’re looking for:
- Good communicator, both written and verbal.
- Sound judgement skills and rational approach.
- A proficiency with Microsoft and in particular using Excel for basic statistical analysis
- Willingness to be innovative, work under their own initiative, with strong organisational skills, being able to plan, prioritise and organise various tasks at the same time.
- Must be able to work independently, and solve problems without supervision
- Must have a flexible approach to work and be contactable out of hours.
- Independence is essential, candidate will need to be able to think for themselves and work on their own as they will often be working without supervision after training has been provided.
- An interest in climate change and the circular economy would make for a more rounded candidate and one that can appreciate the context in which Carbon8 Systems is operating
- C or equivalent in GCSE Maths and English
- C or equivalent in a scientific GCSE (Chemistry in particular)
Carbon8 Systems are a small but rapidly growing company so there is a lot of potential for the candidate to grow with the company and on the pathway they desire.
One route may be to become more senior in the laboratory and manage future laboratory employees.
As the candidate develops an understanding of Carbon8 Systems technology and the issues the company faces it may be possible to move into a role setting the direction of research and development of future products and processes.
The laboratory supports Carbon8 plants at industrial facilities around the world so there is potential for employees to put their understanding of the technology learnt in the laboratory to use in the operational side of Carbon8 Systems.