Aqua Enviro, Wakefield – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday – Friday, 39 hours per week.
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £17,500 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
Please note: Due to insurance policy on company vehicles, we will only be able to consider applicants who are 21 and over.
You’ll join Aqua Enviro as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
The laboratory technician will work in a team on laboratory projects including:
– Undertaking the analysis of wastewater and sludge samples to support delivery of projects for clients.
– Carrying out testing, recording and analysis of results as part of the laboratory team.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Booking in, receiving, moving, storing, retrieving and preparing samples for analysis for the laboratory;
- Performing laboratory tests accurately following strict methodologies i.e. wet chemistry techniques, colourimetry, titrations, pH, waste treatability studies, gravimetric tests and microbiology techniques;
- Maintaining, calibrating and operating standard laboratory equipment probes, pipettes, balances, analytical instrumentation and ovens;
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures ensuring that procedures are followed and notify other relevant employees when this has not been complied with;
- Recording and interpreting results, drawing on the expertise of colleagues within Aqua Enviro and wider Suez where necessary;
- Develop and maintain familiarity with technical topics relevant to on-going and proposed laboratory trials, such as industrial effluent treatability;
- Follow Quality, Health and Safety procedures.
Who we’re looking for:
- The ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems;
- Time management skills to work on several different projects at the same time;
- Excellent oral communication skills to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organization and to explain complex techniques to interested parties;
- Attention to detail.
- Full UK driving license (essential – this is for travel to and from client sites using company vehicles)
- GCSE grade C or above in Maths, English, and Science (essential)
- A science background with relevant A-levels (desirable)
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
Future prospects include (but are not limited to):
- The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- Progression to RSci Tech.
- The possibility of a L4+ qualification.
Things to consider
- Please note, there is a manual handling aspect to this role. The lab technician will be expected to lift items of 10-15kg on a semi-regular basis.
- Some on-site testing may be required for which a company vehicle will be provided.
- Due to insurance policy on company vehicles, we will only be able to consider applicants who are 21 and over.