Advanced Coated Products, Cheltenham – Laboratory Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Monday to Friday, 35.5 hours per week
Where? Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £14,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Laboratory Technician.
You’ll join Advanced Coated Products as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 24 months.
The role is responsible for the day-to-day QC testing of coated and printed films, Incoming Materials Inspections as appropriate, to conduct Quality Assurance duties, and to assist the Technical Manager where required in the pursuit of a high-performing department. Further, to manage the documentation across the technical and quality spectrum: for example Advance CPurchase’s accreditations (such as the ISO9000 manual), technical/lab certifications, equipment calibration schedules, and supplier quality and certifications. Subject to appropriate training given, to provide absence cover for other staff-level roles.
You’ll have the support of a mentor, a colleague whose job it is to keep an eye on your training and development in the role.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
- Laboratory QC testing
- Preparing customer Certificates of Analysis
- Maintain QA files and samples current and archived
- Raise internal Failure reports
- Control of reject materials and Quarantine store
- Internal Audits
- Support the implementation of ISO 9001 procedures and Health & Safety Instructions
- Raise substandard raw material reports
- Monitor the coating and finishing processes where potential quality issues are reported
- Assist the Technical Manager with the investigation of customer complaints and the control of production documents
- To actively support and encourage an environment of high-quality
- Other duties as required as befits a small organization where multi-skilling and teamwork is critical
Who we’re looking for:
- The drive and ability to work independently, to follow procedures but also make recommendations on their simplification/ better fit-for-purpose
- Exemplary attention to detail
- The ability to communicate confidently with co-workers, and with customers and suppliers on a regular basis including during site visits
- Excellent written skills
- Strong numerical literacy
- IT skills; primarily knowledge of email and Microsoft Office
- Time- and task-management organisational skills
- Problem solving – adapting to a rapidly changing environment and reacting quickly to meet challenges
- Desire to learn and progress
- Strong communicator
- Integrity and honesty
- A can-do attitude
GSCEs Maths and English grade C/4 (or equivalent)
The prospect of a full-time position after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Registration on RSciTech.
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Advanced Coated Products. If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship.