With over 110 years of experience in delivering highly complex infrastructure schemes through to projects at the heart of local communities, they operate with the highest levels of quality, safety, and technical expertise, integrate with customers and local supply chains and support local communities.
At Tiro, we make great things happen for people. And that starts with you. In this role you’ll receive:
• Starting salary of £17,850
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
• Overtime available - uplift for working weekends and nightshifts (a lot of our technicians like to work these shifts for the extra money)
• Workings hours are 40 hours per week (plus weekend overtime where needed. Shift work may be a requirement)
• Regular training and CPD opportunities
As an Apprentice Materials Technician you’ll be working as part of a team to construct four new slip roads for the M25 junction 10 roundabout, meaning traffic turning left can pass through the junction easily. The M25 will increase from three to four lanes through the junction, with the A3 also becoming four lanes either side of the junction 10 roundabout.
There will also be improvements to the A245, Sevenhills junction and Painshill roundabout. Around the junction, there will be new and safer routes for pedestrians, cyclists, and horse riders. Improvements will also be made to the local environment and wildlife. It is a huge undertaking, and your help is required to make sure the materials being used are up to the task.
As a member of Balfour Beatty’s laboratory team, you’ll push construction materials to their limits ensuring that they’re safe and reliable to use. These materials will need to exist for many years to come without expensive maintenance, without damaging the structure and without endangering human life.
What you’ll be doing:
• Working alongside other team members, testing the properties of construction materials including concrete, aggregates, and asphalt.
• Improving the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use.
• Helping bring materials testing in the 21st century using new technologies (e.g. Switching over to automated processes, new ergonomic equipment or even new recording and reporting systems.)
• Developing an understanding, knowledge and practical methods used to examine materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT).
• Following testing methods to ensure safety and quality and to support the lab in maintaining its accreditation to operate.
• Travelling to and from sites, collecting materials to be tested.
Through training and development provided, you’ll work towards excellence in the following areas:
• Undertake 21-month apprenticeship to Level 3.
• Ensure all work is undertaken safely in accordance with required processes
• Undertake testing of materials including aggregates, concrete, and asphalt in accordance with required standards, in the laboratory and on construction sites.
• Comply with the high standards of work required by the Quality Management Systems to required deadlines
• Maintain equipment to required standards as required by the Laboratory Manager
• Proactively communicate with senior staff to ensure effective communication
• Attend training courses and assessments as required by the apprenticeship standard and maintaining training records.
Potential career paths
Balfour Beatty is committed to developing emerging talent. Individuals can use the apprenticeship plans to jumpstart a successful career in a skilled industry through on-the-job training and online study. Our goal is to transform you into a fully competent technician, ideally open to accepting a full-time, permanent position within the team, with opportunities for progression in the future to:
• Level 4/5 Technician Scientist apprenticeship
• Senior technician
• Laboratory Manager
• Materials Engineer
• Project lead
Our goal is to train you in many aspects of material testing and quality control. Whether you’re interested in a technical or construction career, you’ll have the chance to shape your future at Balfour Beatty. Hard work and achievement will be rewarded. Don’t take it from us, hear it from one of Balfour Beatty’s top female apprentices:
“Working with BBV has given me the opportunity to increase my knowledge within all construction related sectors. Guidance and experience from individuals, such as consultants and principal engineers, has not only helped increase my knowledge, but has also helped me grow professionally and given me the confidence to communicate with people at all levels.” – Kennedy McCarthy.
Skills and characteristics
You’ll be flexible in your ability to work across the various locations required to meet the needs of business, as well being comfortable working on your feet.
Be prepared for a challenge as you take on activities to ensure the targets are met, whilst standards are upheld to ensure the safety of your team and working environment.
To succeed in this apprenticeship, you’ll need bags of enthusiasm, be a fantastic collaborator and be hungry to learn!
Even if this doesn’t sound quite like you, but you still think you could do a great job in the role, get in touch. We’re always open to wildcards.
So how does the apprenticeship work?
Over 21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, alongside a mentor from Balfour Beatty, who’ll make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
Not ready to apply yet?