Aggregate Industries, Leicestershire – Materials Technician (Level 3)
Your next step towards your dream career…
When? Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus weekend overtime where needed. Shift work may be a requirement.
Where? Aggregate Industries Concrete Centre, Coalville, Leicestershire. LE67 1TL
For how long? Permanent, including a 18-21 months apprenticeship
How much? You’ll earn £20,000 in year 1 and £24,000 on the successful completion of your apprenticeship. You will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Aggregate Industries as an apprentice Materials Technician for a fixed period of 18-21 months.
Over 18-21 months, you’ll devote 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who’ll make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship
Do you want the chance to take part in some of the largest construction projects in the UK helping create the environment we live in? If so, we’re offering you the opportunity to work in designing and testing construction materials that are essential to delivering todays modern buildings and infrastructure.
This really is an opportunity to start a new career that could change your life. Here at Aggregate Industries we are at the frontline of the construction and infrastructure industries, producing and supplying an array of construction materials. With over 200 sites and around 3,700 employees we’re home to everything from aggregates, asphalt, ready-mixed concrete and precast concrete products.
As a Materials Technician Apprentice, you’ll be working in a laboratory but not as you know it! Be prepared to get mucky as you get to know your materials. This won’t be a sterile environment and requires someone who’s not afraid to get stuck in.
Working as part of a team, you won’t be alone. You’ll be supported and guided, learning on the job as you go, by a team of other apprentices and experienced materials technicians. Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
As part of Aggregate Industries technical team, you’ll help design concrete mixtures pushing them to their limits ensuring that they’re safe and reliable to use and manufactured to optimum cost. These materials will need to exist in structures for many years to come so need the utmost care in design and manufacture.
No two days are ever the same with Aggregate Industries. You’ll not only spend time testing in the lab, but as you develop your knowledge and skills you will also get the chance to visit our customers on live construction sites.
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Ensure all work is undertaken safely in accordance with our health and safety processes
- Working alongside other team members, testing the properties of construction materials including concrete, aggregates
- Design concrete mixtures to meet optimum performance at minimum cost
- Improve the performance of existing products
- Developing an understanding, knowledge and practical methods used to design, examine and test materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT)
- Following testing methods to ensure safety and quality and to support the lab and its productions units to maintain its accreditation to operate
- Undertake 2-year apprenticeship to Level 3
- Undertake testing of materials including aggregates and concrete in accordance with required standards, in the laboratory and on construction sites
- Comply with the high standards of work required by the Quality Management Systems to required deadline
- Ensure the maintenance of good quality records of all test results, observations and remarks
- Ensure that testing equipment is maintained and calibrated in accordance with the requirements of the company quality system and associated testing standards
- Proactively communicate with team members and senior staff to ensure effective communication
- Attend training courses and assessments as required by the apprenticeship standard
Who we’re looking for:
- An interest in construction, science or laboratory testing
- Enthusiastic, reliable, hard working individual able to work on their own initiative
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Flexibility to work out of hours including weekend working as required
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Comfortable working on your feet with occasional heavy lifting
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
After completing your Level 3 apprenticeship there are many pathways available to you at Aggregate Industries and beyond. Here are some examples of how your career may progress:
- Senior Technician (Average salary £30,000/year)
- Laboratory Manager (Average salary £35,000/year)
- Area Technical Manager (Competitive Salary + bonuses)